This year, one in 10 Athletes will suffer a sports-related concussion, according to the Centers for Disease Control. That statistic is likely much higher given the number of head injuries that continue to go unrecognized and underreported.
Baseline testing is fast becoming a best practice for Athletes in an effective concussion management program. It is recognized by both the National Collegiate Athletic Association (1) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (2). As early as 2001, it was considered a "cornerstone" in concussion evaluation at the International Conference on Concussion in Sport (3).
The Axon Sports Computerized Cognitive Assessment Tool (CCAT) is used to measure an Athlete's brain speed and accuracy. An online Baseline test is taken before the sports season begins to provide a benchmark for comparison after a suspected concussion. The test measures brain function--attention, working memory, speed and accuracy in thinking. Results are stored and can be shared with Medical Providers to help them make return-to-play decisions.
"Eastbay strives to look out, and look ahead, for Athletes—to be a forerunner in providing what they need from head to toe," said Dowe Tillema, President and CEO, Eastbay. "Increasing awareness of Baseline tests among our loyal customers underscores Eastbay's commitment to support all Athletes and their athletic performance. From recreational to competitive leagues; from basketball and football to cheerleading and skateboarding, to fully protect themselves, every Athlete should have access to affordable and convenient Baseline testing."
Axon Sports is redefining Baseline testing in the sports market as the first company to make tests broadly accessible, affordable, and convenient. The Axon Sports CCAT is available online. Athletes can complete a test in eight to 10 minutes. Test results are stored in secure accounts and can be used as a comparison tool should an Athlete suffer a concussion. Parents can access the online data anytime and share it with their child's Doctor, Coach or Athletic Trainer, which is especially important as kids move from school sport to club sport and from team to team. Powered by CogState technology, the test has been used for more than 10 years internationally and at major U.S. universities. Now, U.S. Athletes as young as age 10 can use it as well.
"We are proud to join forces with Eastbay—a clear world leader in the sports market— to increase awareness of concussions and the proactive steps Parents, Coaches, Athletic Trainers, and Doctors can take to help safeguard the health of Athletes in their care. Our aim is make Baseline tests accessible to all Athletes," said Polly James, Axon Sports president and CEO. "As we learn more about the dangers of concussions; as training and competitive play intensify, it's becoming clear that Baseline testing should be part of every Athlete's pre-season preparation."
Eastbay is a leading world supplier of athletic footwear, apparel and sports equipment. It was established to meet the performance needs of high school and college athletes. This venture grew into a worldwide direct mail catalog and Internet sales conglomerate featuring top athletic brands such as adidas, ASICS, Reebok, Converse, New Balance, Saucony and Nike. To learn more visit www.eastbay.com
About Axon Sports
Axon Sports provides the Axon Sports Computerized Cognitive Assessment Tool (CCAT) as well as educational resources on a wide range of topics surrounding its proper use within an overall concussion management program. Together with Athletes, Parents, Coaches, Athletic Trainers and Doctors, Axon Sports is on a mission to protect and train the athletic brain. To learn more or to preview a sample test, visit www.axonsports.com
1. http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/MD11.pdf (page 55)
You might also like::
- Zabernism: What does it Mean?
- Josh McDaniels Fired As Broncos Coach Over Video Scandal
- Cowboys Don Meredith Dies After Brain Hemorrhage
- Saddest News Ever: Leslie Nielsen Passes Away
- Kyle Brotzman
- Cyber Monday Deals 2010 Rivals Black Friday Shopping
- The NFL Scores a Touchdown with Stuffing Recipes
- Oprah's Favorite Things 2010: The List
- Virginia Cavaliers versus Boston College Eagles ESPNU TV Saturday November 20th 2010 College Football Odds Sports Betting Pick Preview
- How to Upgrade Your Food Storage Containers
- Tony Parker Comments On Erin Barry Affair Allegations!
- Leonid Meteor Shower 2010
- Ultra Music Festival 2011
- House Review: It Might Be Smallpox!
- 'Weeds' Season 6 Finale: Seriously, There's No Way Out for Nancy
- Andy Reid's ordeals and triumphs
- 'Don't touch my junk' airport clip goes viral
- Word of the Year: 'Spillcam' beats out Sarah Palin's 'Refudiate'
- Paquiao Vs Margarito Results
- The Last of the Hardy Players – Review
- Jack Johnson Arrested
- Bombshell: FEMA Camps Confirmed
- Veterans Day 2010 — why not volunteer to help veterans other days, too?
- Local sculptor sees his "Pyramid Earth" relocated to Oakland Comm College
- Surveillance photos released of Concord armed robbery suspects
- Zenyatta Breeders Cup 2010 Results
- Mehserle sentencing expected Friday
- Keith Olbermann SUSPENDED From MSNBC Indefinitely Without Pay
- Playboy Model Tiffany Livingston Detained After Flight Meltdown
mobil keluarga ideal terbaik indonesia